To attend an elective rotation at the School of Medicine, you must be actively pursuing a Doctor of Medicine degree and in good academic standing at your home school. Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine students are also welcome to apply, and must do so through Visiting Student Application Services (VSAS).
Available Clerkships for Visiting Students
Elective AvailabilityYou may review electives offered by accessing the fouth-year fourth-year course catalog in VSAS. Please note that there is limited availability for each elective offered.
If you’d like to be considered in the Visiting Student Program, you must submit a complete application through VSAS. This applies to both MD and DO students.
The School of Medicine requires an approved affiliation agreement with your home institution to allow for participation in the Visiting Student Program. The approved agreement must be in place no later than 14 days before the start date of your rotation.
All requests to establish affiliation agreements must be submitted by an appropriate home school representative only, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The request should include:
- Official name of the institution or school of medicine
- Location of institution or school of medicine
- Type of program (i.e., MD, DO)
- Length of program
- Compelling educational reason to establish agreement
- Home representative or institution contact information
All students who apply to the Visiting Student Program must upload the following information to their VSAS application before it will be reviewed:
- Curriculum vitae.
- Academic transcript
- Two letters of recommendation from a faculty member with whom the student has worked in an inpatient setting (two outpatient letters are acceptable for those students applying to a research elective). The letter should address the clinical skills and abilities of the student. Students applying for a rotation in family medicine must have one of their letters from a family medicine physician. Student applying for a rotation in emergency medicine are only required to have one letter of recommendation (preferably from an emergency medicine physician). Letters must be uploaded as a supplemental document by your home institution.
- Passing scores from the Step 1 – USMLE (copy of NBME results) or COMLEX for osteopathic medical students.
- Copy of Professional Liability Certificate of Coverage or statement from home school on letterhead indicating coverage limits and dates of coverage (minimum of $1 million per instance, and $3 million in total).
- Statement of education goals for elective experience at the School of Medicine. This should specify your objectives for the elective experience.
There will be additional requirements when you accept an elective rotation. More information will be provided at that time by email.
School of Medicine Elective Dates
All approved visiting students must adhere to the School of Medicine Year 4 rotation schedule’s start dates (PDF), however, the department may approve a shortened rotation.
Scholarships and Grants
The Scholarship Clerkship Program for Visiting Medical Students is administered by the School of Medicine’s Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity.
This program is designed to promote diversity in the residency programs at the School of Medicine and annually offers scholarship assistance to visiting fourth-year medical students rotating in:
- Emergency medicine
- Family and community medicine
- General surgery
- Plastic surgery
- Orthopedic surgery
International students are welcome to participate in an elective rotation at the School of Medicine. Email Lynn Snyder, program coordinator for global health, at email@example.com for more information. Application information is available upon request.
Badge Buddy Program
We provide badge buddies to all students, which include helpful contact information you may need while you are here as a student.
The badge buddies share our Student Affairs motto and information on how to report mistreatment or learning environment issues, although we are confident you will enjoy your time here!