The Wake Forest University School of Medicine Doctor of Medical Science program* is a post-professional doctoral degree designed by and for working PAs. This program will equip PA leaders with skills in research, medical education, and healthcare leadership.
- Asynchronous, online
- 24 months, 35 credits
- Focus areas: Research, Education, Leadership
- Multidisciplinary faculty from Wake Forest University- School of Medicine, School of Business, School of Professional Studies
- Capstone project (mentored) with rigor and preparation for peer-reviewed dissemination.
Frequently Asked Questions
- The Wake Forest University Doctor of Medical Science program is specifically designed for PAs seeking the professional growth necessary to advance their role and expand their impact.
- PAs are highly trained and capable clinicians who partner with physicians, administrators and other stakeholders to solve complex health care problems. As PAs navigate a changing landscape of care delivery, there will be opportunities for advancement and a need for accomplished clinical leaders. This program will position graduates to lead clinical teams, possess skills to implement cutting-edge evidence and drive educational innovations for future PAs.
- This online program enables graduates to lead within diverse health care settings and serve their communities.
- The Wake Forest University Department of PA Studies has a long history of excellence in PA education as well as developing leaders within the PA profession. We are fortunate to have preeminent and prestigious partnerships within many schools under the Wake Forest University flagship. As the PA profession is rooted in team practice and depends on interprofessional collaboration, this program is designed to offer learners multiple opportunities to learn from and with other professionals from a variety of backgrounds for a rich learning experience. This, combined with the rigor and academic preparation of our graduates, demonstrates our ongoing commitment to an outstanding educational experience.
- The Capstone course series consists of 3 separate courses over the 24-month curriculum. Doctoral students will engage in student-driven scholarly inquiry and address a current clinical, educational or health system gap. Coursework and faculty mentors will help the doctoral student build foundations for conceptual frameworks in research, quality improvement, or evidence-based practice to support students in actualizing an investigative framework through the proposal, implementation, analysis, and scholarly writing process.
- The rigor of the capstone courses will prepare graduates for peer-reviewed dissemination and subsequent scholarly work.
*This program is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
**Please note this is not an entry-level doctoral program for PAs. This program is for PAs who have previously completed their PA professional education including obtaining a master’s degree, NCCPA (National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants) PANCE (Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam) certification.