We are located at Carolinas Medical Center (CMC) which is a large, 874-bed, academic, tertiary medical center. CMC is the regions only Level 1 Trauma center and is one of the busiest in the nation.
We take pride in our residency, fellowship, and medical student programs.
- Our faculty and residents are clinically busy, enjoy research and love teaching students.
- Our learning environment is friendly, inclusive, and has consistently been rated highly by students.
- Our residents and faculty love teaching student in highly interactive and cased-based methods.
|Surgical Trauma ICU||4ICU18|
|General Surgery AI||4AIM449|
|Emergency General Surgery||4AIM451|
|Surgical Oncology – GI (inpatient)||4AIM447|
|Surgical Oncology - Soft Tissue & Breast (outpatient)||4AIM443|
|Minimally Invasive Surgery||4AIM446|
|Plastic Surgery (Note: There is no Plastic Surgery residency in Charlotte at this time)||4SGS14|
|Obesity Medicine and Bariatric Surgery Elective (WFUSOM students only)
Highlighted Elective Program
Our Underrepresented Minorities in Medicine (URiM) - Visiting Medical Student Elective Program allows medical students to experience a surgery elective at our institution and showcases our department’s commitment to creating an inclusive and diverse environment for URiM medical students.
Surgery Interest Group (SIG)
The surgery interest group is a faculty-sponsored student-run group. The goal of the group is to support students’ interest in any specialty of surgery. We have a variety of activities planned through the year.
- Networking social with residents and faculty
- Laparoscopic practice at the simulation center
- Research projects with faculty
- Mentorship program with residents