The Flow Cytometry Shared Resource provides researchers with ready access to the necessary expertise and state-of-the-art instrumentation they need to explore a wide range of research problems with flow cytometry.
We focus on addressing the needs of research scientists and clinical investigators alike, whether they are seasoned flow cytometry users or just discovering the capabilities of flow cytometry technology. The WFL-FCSR critically enables studies at the single-cell level across a broad range of cytometry applications, particularly in immuno-oncology. We provide training for the instruments for new users and laboratory support for clinical research. Our directors are also available to consult on experimental design, development of correlative research endpoints to clinical trials and data analysis.
- Versatile Flow Cytometry experiment designs from single markers testing to high multiplexing analyses. Some representative examples of analysis experiments include: cell marker expression (surface, intracellular or intranuclear), cell viability, apoptosis, cell cycle, reactive oxygen species production, intracellular ion concentration. Cell lysates can also be analyzed with bead substrate-based immunoassays.
- Single cell or bulk sorting of fluorescently labeled cells. Some representative examples of sorting experiments include isolation of GFP-tagged cells, isolation of multiple cell subsets from a complex sample.
- Drop off testing of clinical specimens including sample fractioning, immunoassay, flow cytometry panel development, validation, and optimization (including CAP/CLIA assay).
- Machine learning applications to high dimensional data and rare event cytometry analyses.
1. French MJ, Wuerker R, Dugan G, Olson JD, Sanders BR, Tooze JA, et al. Long-Term Immunological Consequences of Radiation Exposure in a Diverse Cohort of Rhesus Macaques. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2023;115:945-56
2. Foureau DM, Paul BA, Guo F, Lipford EH, Fesenkova K, Tjaden E, et al. Standardizing Clinical Workflow for Assessing Minimal Residual Disease by Flow Cytometry in Multiple Myeloma. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 2023;23:e41-e50
3. Aguilo-Seara G, Molair W, Shang H, Northrup S, Grosser JA, Llull R, et al. Extent of Tissue Washing Can Significantly Alter the Composition of Adipose-Derived Stromal Vascular Fraction Cell Preparations: Implications for Clinical Translation. Stem Cells Transl Med 2023;12:391-9
4. Xu C, Wu H, Liu Y, Li F, Manne RK, Lin HK. Protocol for detecting macrophage-mediated cancer cell phagocytosis in vitro and in vivo. STAR Protoc 2022;4:101940
5. Triozzi PL, Stirling ER, Song Q, Westwood B, Kooshki M, Forbes ME, et al. Circulating Immune Bioenergetic, Metabolic, and Genetic Signatures Predict Melanoma Patients' Response to Anti-PD-1 Immune Checkpoint Blockade. Clin Cancer Res 2022;28:1192-202
6. Stirling ER, Terabe M, Wilson AS, Kooshki M, Yamaleyeva LM, Alexander-Miller MA, et al. Targeting the CD47/thrombospondin-1 signaling axis regulates immune cell bioenergetics in the tumor microenvironment to potentiate antitumor immune response. J Immunother Cancer 2022;10
7. Patel C, Shi L, Whitesides JF, Foster BM, Fajardo RJ, Quillen EE, et al. A New Method of Bone Stromal Cell Characterization by Flow Cytometry. Curr Protoc 2022;2:e400
8. Lu Y, Xue G, Zheng N, Han K, Yang W, Wang RS, et al. hDirect-MAP: projection-free single-cell modeling of response to checkpoint immunotherapy. Brief Bioinform 2022;23
9. Li F, Mao C, Yeh S, Xin J, Wang P, Shi Q, et al. Combinatory therapy of MRP1-targeted photoimmunotherapy and liposomal doxorubicin promotes the antitumor effect for chemoresistant small cell lung cancer. Int J Pharm 2022;625:122076
10. Kumar A, Sharma M, Su Y, Singh S, Hsu FC, Neth BJ, et al. Small extracellular vesicles in plasma reveal molecular effects of modified Mediterranean-ketogenic diet in participants with mild cognitive impairment. Brain Commun 2022;4:fcac262
11. Foster BM, Shi L, Harris KS, Patel C, Surratt VE, Langsten KL, et al. Bone Marrow-Derived Stem Cell Factor Regulates Prostate Cancer-Induced Shifts in Pre-Metastatic Niche Composition. Front Oncol 2022;12:855188