The Pediatric Residency Program at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center has been successfully training pediatricians since 1942. Medical education is an integral part of the mission of the Department of Pediatrics. Our residency leadership team is committed to training quality pediatricians with a solid foundation in general pediatrics and exposure to each subspecialty to expand their knowledge and skills.
- With 14 residents a year, our size allows us to truly know each resident and their individual career goals so that we can best mentor them.
- Wake Forest Baptist Health’s Department of Pediatrics is home to over 85 pediatric physicians with a vast knowledge base in all sub-specialties, committed to providing our learners a superior learning experience.
- Brenner Children’s Hospital is a hospital-within-a-hospital model where the majority of pediatric care and resources are within one tower of the medical center while still allowing access to other services in the medical center.
- Our resident clinic takes place at a community-based certified medical home which serves a diverse population who would otherwise have a difficult time accessing healthcare.
- Advocacy is an important part of our curriculum with each resident participating in an advocacy project, many of which have received local and even national accolades.
Our graduates are a testament to our strengths and successes.
In the past 5 years, we've had:
- 47% go in to general pediatrics
- 34% into subspecialty/fellowship
- 19% into hospitalist positions
While 38% have stayed in North Carolina to practice, we have graduates located coast to coast. Our three year rolling average board pass rate as published by the American Board of Pediatrics is 97%.
Here are some quotes from recent graduates:
“It is a program of goldilocks size with great opportunity but still a close knit community. The clinical exposure to both general pediatrics and specialty care is excellent. There is an active interest in quality improvement, medical education and clinical research.”
“Excellent balance of inpatient and outpatient pediatrics. The program allows you to tailor it to your specific needs for future practice. Faculty are all personable and willing and wanting to help you in your endeavors.”
“Extremely supportive program with well-created curriculum.”
Please contact us if you have questions or would be interested in speaking with one of our alums in your area.