This concentration embraces the principles of pharmacology, and systems physiology and pharmacology, a unique educational experience that can enhance the program of MS students seeking application to medical school, MS or PhD students in non-biological (e.g., physical) sciences who plan to seek employment in the pharmaceutical or biotech industries, or MS or PhD students in a variety of biomedical programs who plan careers in the innovation or science support structures of academic or commercial organizations.
The Integrative Physiology and Pharmacology Concentration will not involve teaching faculty that are outside the IPP Graduate Program.
Educational Objectives and Goals
The concentration will comprise a minimum of 9 semester hours of IPP Graduate Program coursework.
Core course requirements:
- IPP701 Principles of Pharmacology - 3 credits (fall semester)
- IPP702 Systems Physiology and Pharmacology - 4 or 6 credits (spring semester)
Elective IPP courses that can make up the remaining credits to achieve a total of 9 can include:
- IPP703 (fall) or IPP704 (spring) Student Seminar (1 credit, fall or spring, can be repeated)
- IPP705 (fall) or IPP706 (spring) Student Journal Club (1 credit, fall or spring, can be repeated)
- IPP715 Physiological Techniques (1 credit, fall semester, by permission of the Instructor)
- IPP711 (proposed as IPP716) Translational and Educational Research Topics (1 credit, summer)
- IPP 717, 722, 724, 730, 736, 738, 740, 741 (These are 2 or 3 credit advanced electives, by POI)
GPA Standard: The student must achieve a B (3.0) or higher in the courses comprising the 9 semester hours of IPP coursework. The Integrative Physiology and Pharmacology Concentration will be noted on the transcript only upon completion of the major degree of study.
Certification of Completion for MS students: The Integrative Physiology and Pharmacology Concentration chair will certify completion of the courses taken in the concentration on a routing form that will be signed by the IPP Program Director. The form will be submitted before advancing to candidacy.
Certification of Completion for PhD Students: The routing form will be submitted to the Graduate School upon completion of the concentration requirements.