The mission of Women in Medicine and Science (WIMS) is to develop, promote and support a nurturing environment for women to enhance recruitment, retention, professional development, and promotion of women faculty, residents, fellows, and students. We also work to increase understanding of gender–focused medicine and women’s health. Our vision is an equitable workplace sensitive to the needs of women and families.
What We Do
WIMS has launched several initiatives to carry out its mission, some of which are:
- A mentoring program for early-career women faculty
- Early and mid-career professional development programs
- Departmental liaisons to facilitate communication between WIMS and faculty
- Implementation of a work-life balance faculty and staff survey
- Facilitation of access to resources for nursing mothers
- Review of care-giver leave policies here and at institutions like ours
- An annual day-long symposium on women’s health research
- Shadowing and internship programs for students
The WIMS Fund
This is a critical time for education programs supporting women in medicine and science across the US. This Fund has been established to help us develop programming aimed at empowering women. If you are interested in learning more about the fund visit the Women in Medicine and Science Fund.
Women's Health Research Day
April 27, 2019
Join Wake Forest Baptist Health students, staff, nurses, post-docs, residents, fellows and faculty as they discuss their latest research around the theme: "What's on HER Mind? Gender Differences in Cognitive Function."
We look forward to seeing you there.
School of Medicine Receives National Women's Leadership Award.
This national award recognizes the School of Medicine's commitment to supporting and advocating for the professional advancement of women in medicine and science.