The Obstetric Anesthesiology Fellowship program at Wake Forest School of Medicine is a one-year training program. We offer two Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited fellowship positions.

Application Process

Candidates interested in pursuing a fellowship position may submit the Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology (SOAP) common application or our Wake Forest Application in addition to the required documents below. When application materials have been submitted, candidates will be notified by email or phone of available dates to schedule an on-site or skype interview.

Submitting an Application

  1. Complete the SOAP common application OR submit Wake Forest application

Required Documents

Prospective fellows should also submit the following documents:

  • United States Medical Licensing Examination USMLE Step I, II and III scores
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Exchange Commission of Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certification (if applicable)
  • Personal statement or letter of interest explaining career choice and goals
  • Three letters of recommendation to be addressed to the program director. One of these letters must be from your current residency program director.
  • Current photograph
  • Eligibility for North Carolina medical license

Fellows desiring to pursue external moonlighting will require an independent Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) number as well as full North Carolina medical licensure. A criminal background check will be performed during the NC licensure process.

Interview Process

Invitations for interviews will be sent by email from our fellowship coordinator. Interviews may also be conducted via Skype or Facetime if travel or time restrictions exist.

Individuals interested in the fellowship program should contact Laura Dean, MD, Associate Professor, Director of Obstetric Anesthesiology Fellowship, for further information.

Foreign Medical Graduates

Although we do prefer well qualified candidates who have clinical experience in ACGME accredited residency programs, we do accept exceptionally qualified foreign medical graduates into our program. If you need work authorization, our institution accepts J-1 Visas, Employment Authorization Documentation (EAD) and green cards.