The Wake Forest School of Medicine Department of Orthopaedic Surgery welcomes all fourth-year medical students to rotate as acting interns in our department. Medical students currently enrolled in U.S. allopathic medical schools should apply through VSAS. Options for international medical students are below.
Our top priorities during your rotation are to:
- Advance your orthopaedic knowledge base.
- Help initiate the transition from medical student to resident.
- Provide extensive hands-on experience.
- Expose you to a wide variety of Orthopaedic surgical conditions and clinical styles.
- Develop friendships and connections with other members of our Orthopaedic family
We accept up to eight students to rotate during each academic block.
The cornerstone of our program is extensive operative experience with our fellowship-trained academic orthopaedic faculty, many of whom are considered world experts in their respective orthopaedic subspecialties.
Clerkship curriculum will also include:
- Orthopaedic clinic and call experience to learn about the peri-operative, non-operative, and acute management of orthopaedic issues, with teaching and participation in Emergency Department procedures such as casting, splinting, joint injections, joint aspirations, revision amputations, etc.
- Take part in departmental educational conferences, grand rounds, cadaveric and saw-bone operative surgical skills labs, and journal clubs.
- Attend didactic lectures designed specifically for fourth-year medical students.
- Receive guidance from a senior resident mentor.
- Experience life in Winston-Salem and consider what it would be like to complete your residency here.
Below are Wake Forest School of Medicine rotation blocks for 2018. Students are strongly encouraged to rotate on these dates if at all possible. Rotations are available anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks. If you prefer a shorter rotation, please contact our clerkship coordinator for approval (contact info above), and verify with your home school that they will accept this for partial credit.
Monday, August 12, 2019
Monday, September 9, 2019
Monday, October 7, 2019
Monday, November 4, 2019
Sunday, September 8, 2019
Sunday, October 6, 2019
Sunday, November 3, 2019
Sunday, December 8, 2019.
Alternative date are also available.