The Maya Angelou Center for Health Equity relies on the generosity of others who willingly share their time, talents, expertise, and financial contributions to further our mission and vision for achieving health equity. We look forward to engaging in meaningful and mutually beneficial partnerships with affiliates across a wide variety of areas.
The Maya Angelou Center for Health Equity Affiliates Program aims to create internal and external networks that facilitate health equity research, education and community engagement.
The Affiliates Program seeks to increase interdisciplinary collaboration on research investigations in health equity; support affiliate engagement in MACHE Health Equity Education and Training, and Community Engagement initiatives through facilitation, mentorship and/or program development; and provide MACHE Affiliates health equity-focused professional development and networking opportunities.
- MACHE Affiliates and MACHE Core Faculty and Staff will partner on extramural funding submissions that support health equity research and education.
- MACHE Core Faculty and Staff will establish mentorship structures that facilitate the ability to receive and give mentorship across all levels (early, mid, senior career) and between MACHE Core and Affiliates.
- MACHE Core Faculty and Staff and MACHE Affiliates will jointly facilitate professional development opportunities, including, but not limited to, grant writing, manuscript preparation, public speaking, research methodology, recruitment science, and support to attend training).
- MACHE Core Faculty and Staff and MACHE Affiliates will jointly facilitate Networking events and opportunities with Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist and external partners.
- MACHE Core Faculty and Staff will facilitate a quarterly Health Equity Journal Club and quarterly Speaker Series / Lecture Series.
- MACHE will recognize Affiliates on MACHE Communications (Website, Social Media, Newsletters) to demonstrate Affiliation status, share work, and recognize awards and honors.
MACHE Affiliates will provide a minimum of a 12-hour annual commitment via engagement in MACHE activities including but not limited to: research activities; proposal development; manuscript preparation; education, training and outreach; service on MACHE Advisory Board or subcommittee.
Subcommittee examples include: Health Equity Education and Training, Research, Integrating Special Populations, Community Engagement, Advocacy, Communications, Networking & Professional Development, and Health Equity Events (Symposia, Conferences, etc).
Annual evaluation of affiliate engagement as well as perceived benefits of program participation will be conducted to determine program successes and areas for growth and improvement. Evaluation will include, but not be limited to, measures of impact on MACHE programming, including extramural proposals, manuscripts, hours engaged in programs, individuals mentored, policy documents, frequency and type of community engagement.
In addition to their role as partners with MACHE, we welcome the assistance of Affiliates in developing robust fundraising opportunities to expand our mutual interest in advancing health equity. Affiliates are also invited to contribute financially to the Center’s internship endowment which seeks to train, prepare, and mentor future health professionals.
The Maya Angelou Center for Health Equity (MACHE) sincerely appreciates your commitment and service to eliminate health inequities and expand the work of Dr. Angelou’s vision for the Center, and a better, healthier world.
“If it is true that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, isn't it also true a society is only as healthy as its sickest citizen and only as wealthy as its most deprived?”
-Dr. Maya Angelou