The Vascular Surgery Integrated Residency at Wake Forest University School of Medicine is an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited, 5-year integrated program. The Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery is a member of the integrated Heart and Vascular Center of Excellence at Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist.
The vascular surgery residency will match one applicant per year. Trainees will participate in rotations at the main campus of Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist as well as Atrium Health High Point Medical Center. As required by the American Board of Surgery, our trainees will develop focused experience and education in non-invasive vascular diagnostics to be competent for RPVI testing.
The teaching service is comprised of
- Eleven board-certified vascular surgery faculty
- One vascular medicine faculty
- Six advanced practice practitioners
- A PGY-3
- A PGY-1
- An inpatient pharmacist
Why train at Wake Forest?
The residency is distinguished by several aspects that deliver a breadth of clinical and educational experience:
- A well-rounded clinical experience provides balance between open surgical and endovascular treatment interventions as well as diagnostic procedures
- Our facilities include a service-oriented operating room team and dedicated endovascular suite
- Committed faculty with a broad array of clinical, research and educational experience and interests provide exposure to all aspects of practice supported through dedicated conferences
- A fully accredited Clinical Vascular Laboratory provides a rich environment for didactic teaching and an organized experience in study interpretation
- Daily service rounds by a dedicated team (including a faculty member, nurse practitioner and pharmacist) provide organized and consistent inpatient management support while also facilitating bedside teaching opportunities to explore evidence-based approaches to diagnostic testing, clinical decision-making and perioperative care
- A rich academic tradition with an organized, team-oriented approach provides infrastructure and abundant research opportunities
Centers and Institutes
Cardiovascular Sciences Center - Integrating the breadth and strengths of cardiovascular research, training the next generation of cardiovascular investigators and connecting outstanding research faculty and clinical care providers for rapid translation of knowledge.