A Standardized Patient is an actor trained to portray live patient interactions in a health care setting. CEAL offers standardized patient educational and assessment opportunities in a variety of simulation events to enhance and evaluate patient care interactions. Standardized patients also participate within the clinical workplace for immersive learning projects.
Examples of Standardized Patient Interactions with students can include:
- Presenting a case history in response to questioning by Wake Forest School of Medicine students.
- Undergoing a non-invasive and limited physical examination.
- Providing students with ultrasound training such as abdomen, heart, and lung scanning.
- Providing feedback that assists students with their communication and clinical skills.
- Assisting students in working through challenging emotional situations.