The Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine (WFIRM) Summer Research Exposure Program (SREP) provides multidisciplinary education and research exposure opportunities for high school students (ages 16 to 18) and a unique opportunity to enhance their understanding of regenerative medicine research, research tools and techniques.
The SREP provides students with educational and hands-on research experiences designed to increase their familiarity with the scientific process and to stimulate interest in advanced education and careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields and multidisciplinary regenerative medicine research in a friendly and nurturing environment.
Program BenefitsAcademic, Social and Personal
- Participate in regenerative medicine research with WFIRM faculty, students and staff in a strong team-based environment.
- Gain unique hands-on research experience and skill development.
- Attend the annual Regenerative Medicine Essentials Course as well as special seminars and weekly research meetings.
- Meet and network with peers and near-peers who have similar interests and goals.
- Heighten and inspire interest and academic confidence in STEM disciplines.
- Become more competitive when applying to undergraduate schools in the STEM disciplines.
How To Apply
The Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine (WFIRM) has initiated a new opportunity for high school students to explore the world of regenerative medicine and engage in hands-on research by working with WFIRM researchers and their teams.
To apply to the High School Summer Research Exposure Program (SREP) at WFIRM, students should complete an online application form and submit two letters of recommendation through U.S. postal mail.
Recommendation forms and more information can be found in the application packet below.
- Applications open:February 1, 2019
- Applications due: no later than 5pm on March 31, 2019
- Applicants notified: on or before May 1, 2019
Submitting an Application
To review the application process, download the High School Application Packet.
Once the online application opens on or before February 1, complete the online application form. After completing the online application, complete each form included in the packet and mail the completed packet no later than 5pm on March 31 to:
Joan F. Schanck
Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine
Medical Center Boulevard
Winston-Salem, NC 27157-7290
All applicants will be notified on or before May 1. If you’re selected to participate in the SREP at WFIRM you’ll be responsible for providing immunization records and documentation of a tuberculosis (TB) skin test by May 10, 2019.
- Completed online application form
- Completed materials and forms found in the High School Application Packet
- Signed agreement and parental consent form
- Teacher recommendation form (two recommendations required)