I arrived at Wake Forest School of Medicine in 1992 and since that time have focused my collaborative research on cardiovascular disease, Type II diabetes, and aging, with special emphasis on research questions being answered by large, multicenter studies. My methodological research emphasizes applications of biostatistics; measurement issues in aging; and randomized trials involving physical activity interventions. I am currently funded as one of four PIs of the Consortium Coordinating Center of the Molecular Transducers of Physical Activity Consortium (MoTrPAC) Study, a national research consortium designed to discover and perform preliminary characterization of the range of molecular transducers (the “molecular map”) that underlie the effects of physical activity in humans.
- BA, College of Wooster, 1983
- MS, University of Cincinnati, 1985
- PhD, University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, 1988
- American Statistical Association
- Biometric Society
- Society of Clinical Trial Research
- Professor, Biostatistics and Data Science
- Departments and Affiliations
- Biostatistics and Data Science
- Long-term impact of intensive lifestyle intervention on cognitive function assessed with the National Institutes of Health Toolbox: The Look AHEAD study. Hayden KM, Baker LD, Bray G, Carvajal R, Demos-McDermott K, Hergenroeder AL, Hill JO, Horton E, Jakicic JM, Johnson KC, Neiberg RH, Rapp SR, Wadden TA, Miller ME. Alzheimers Dement (Amst). 2018; 10:41-48.
- The Relationship Between the Score on a Simple Measure of Cognitive Function and Incident CVD in People With Diabetes: A Post Hoc Epidemiological Analysis From the ACCORD-MIND Study. Cukierman-Yaffe T, Gerstein HC, Miller ME, Launer LJ, Williamson JD, Horowitz KR, Ismail-Beigi F, Lazar RM. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2017 09; 102(9):3218-3225.
- Associations of Early Kidney Disease With Brain Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Cognitive Function in African Americans With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Freedman BI, Sink KM, Hugenschmidt CE, Hughes TM, Williamson JD, Whitlow CT, Palmer ND, Miller ME, Lovato LC, Xu J, Smith SC, Launer LJ, Barzilay JI, Cohen RM, Sullivan MD, Bryan RN, Wagner BC, Bowden DW, Maldjian JA, Divers J, . Am. J. Kidney Dis. 2017 Nov; 70(5):627-637.
- ACCORDION MIND: results of the observational extension of the ACCORD MIND randomised trial. Murray AM, Hsu FC, Williamson JD, Bryan RN, Gerstein HC, Sullivan MD, Miller ME, Leng I, Lovato LL, Launer LJ, . Diabetologia. 2017 01; 60(1):69-80.
- Effects of Longitudinal Glucose Exposure on Cognitive and Physical Function: Results from the Action for Health in Diabetes Movement and Memory Study. Beavers KM, Leng I, Rapp SR, Miller ME, Houston DK, Marsh AP, Hire DG, Baker LD, Bray GA, Blackburn GL, Hergenroeder AL, Jakicic JM, Johnson KC, Korytkowski MT, Dorsten BV, Kritchevsky SB, . J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017 01; 65(1):137-145.