Observation and shadowing experiences are currently suspended until December 31, 2021. International rotations will remain paused until June 30, 2022. Visiting Medical student experiences will resume on June 21st and visiting PA and CRNA student in-person clinical rotations will resume August 1, 2021 with limitations. There will be no visiting student rotations in Ob/Gyn and extremely limited visiting student rotations in Pediatrics. Requests submitted do not guarantee a rotation and rotations are subject to change based on the current state of the pandemic.
During this time of unprecedented circumstances and uncertainty, Wake Forest Baptist Health (WFBH) and Wake Forest School of Medicine have established guiding principles for Academic Year 2021-2022.
To protect patients, faculty, staff, and learners as well as maintaining a safe and effective learning environment, clinical rotations for learners enrolled in Wake Forest School of Medicine degree-granting programs will be prioritized. Additionally, nursing clinical rotations involving Wake Forest Baptist Health employee nurses pursuing an advanced degree and current Clinical Education nursing partnerships will be prioritized.
External programs that would like to be considered for placements within Wake Forest Baptist Health clinical spaces should follow the process below.
- Complete the Form: In order to meet the variety of needs from numerous programs that request placement of learners please complete the required form below.
- Evaluation of Request: Visiting Learner Task Force will evaluate all requests and make a determination based on input from key stakeholders including Supply Chain (PPE), Employee Health, and the COVID-19 Task Force Leadership.
- Notification of Decision: Decisions will be made based upon our current state at the time of the request, factoring in PPE and patient volumes. At any time, due to changes in the PPE supply chain and the pandemic's activity, learners may be removed from clinical experiences.
- Approved visiting students will need to provide documentation that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (i.e., have received an FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine or vaccine series) at least 2 weeks prior to beginning the rotation.
- Will adhere to current institutional policies on masking and social distancing.
- Adhere to institutional, CDC and North Carolina state guidelines.
- Self-monitor for symptoms.
- Provide information as soon as possible about exposures that may affect patients, other students, faculty or staff at WFBH facilities.
- Proceed as noted below for any suspected exposures.
If a learner has a suspected COVID-19 exposure:
- Learners will need to report potential workplace exposures to our Employee Health Portal, by email at EmployeeHealth@wakehealth.edu or by telephone at 336-716-4801, option 2, and will follow the guidance of the Employee Health staff from that point forward.
COVID-19 exposures that occur off-campus away from WFBH facilities
- Learners will be required to connect with home institution before reporting to clinical duties
If a learner is symptomatic:
- They must not report to the clinical area
- They should notify their preceptor
- They should report symptoms through the Employee Health Portal, by email at EmployeeHealth@wakehealth.edu or by telephone at 336-716-4801, option 2, and follow the guidance of the Employee Health staff from that point forward.