The Psychiatry Education Endowment Fund helps give Wake Forest School of Medicine a competitive edge in attracting the best and brightest graduating medical students to our Psychiatry Residency Program.
The competition for applicants is strong as we try to distinguish ourselves from regional programs such as Duke University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. To this end, the Psychiatry Education Endowment Fund provides an array of educational opportunities that currently have no secure source of annual funding.
What Does the Psychiatry Education Endowment Fund Provide?
The fund helps provide educational opportunities for trainees, including:
- Educational resources, such as textbooks and software
- Membership in professional groups, such as the American Psychiatric Association
- Travel costs to attend professional and scientific meetings
- Visiting professors to enhance the program
This fund is restricted to the improvement of psychiatry education. Donations and the fund’s income cannot be used for any other purpose.
Why Should I Help the Psychiatry Education Endowment Fund?
Our ability to attract and train the best psychiatry residents-in-training will determine access to, as well as the quality of, psychiatric services in the North Carolina Triad.
The availability of psychiatric services in our region is critically dependent on the number of excellent psychiatry residents-in-training at the Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center. Our resident physicians cared for 1,791 psychiatric emergency patients in our Emergency Department in 2007 and also treated 916 hospitalized adults and 499 hospitalized children in 2007.
After their training is finished, these young doctors become the backbone of psychiatric care in our community mental health facilities, state hospitals, Veteran’s Administration Clinic and private practices. In fact, 83 percent of our 2005 graduates took their first job in the Triad.
How Can I Help?
To help our educational process succeed, please consider a tax-deductible gift to the Psychiatry Education Endowment Fund. There are two ways to help:
- Submit a gift online by completing and submitting the online form. (Please select “Psychiatry Education Fund” on the Gift Designation selector.)
- Complete the printable Psychiatry Education Endowment Fund contribution form and mail it with your check to the Office of Development and Alumni Affairs at the indicated address.
Thank you for your gift of support.