The Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Wake Forest School of Medicine has a robust research program that has significantly contributed to the advancement of our specialty.
We focus our research efforts on:
- Recognition, causes and treatment of heart failure
- Improving exercise tolerance in patients with heart disease
- Monitoring cancer patients for cardiac effects of chemotherapy
- Genetic epidemiology of cardiac disease
- Non-invasive treatment of coronary artery disease, structural heart disease and arrhythmias
Our research also helps us implement the newest technologies for patients at our Heart and Vascular Center.
The Heart Center is participating in a $10 million multi-center study to identify genes that contribute to early atherosclerosis, funded by the National Institutes of Health’s National Heart Lung and Blood Institute.